Thursday, August 4, 2011

A little spanish luck!

I am desperately in need of some VERY good luck today.  I don't want to reveal why yet, just P L E A S E keep your fingers and toes crossed for me! :-)

My daughter has been with grandma and grandpa in Omaha (about 45 minutes away) since Sunday night.  She was supposed to come home last night, but she begged and pleaded to spend one more night with Grandma Cheryl.  I miss here dearly.  The house is SO quiet without her not at home, but I know how much the two of them value their time together so I had to let her stay!

Since Ellie was gone, it was a perfect night to make tacos.  Ellie loves tacos, she just prefers them a little on the milder side then my husband and I. So it is always fun to make them when she is not home so I can really kick things up a notch.  While Kiley suffered in the intense heat mowing the lawn, I enjoyed the nice cool AC (one of the perks of being merried to an HVAC tech :-) ) and took my time chopping up cilantro, onions, tomatoes etc. for homemade pico.  I LOVE homemade pico, and I never make it the same way twice.  Last nights version was comprised of canned sweet corn, tomatoes, diced chili pepers, fresh lime juice, black beans, diced onions and LOTS of cilanto.  I really think I could eat cilantro like lettace. I love it that much!

Since Kiley isn't vegan, I made some ground hamburger taco meat for him.  I also heated up some organic refried beans and made some homemade vegan "nacho cheese" sauce.  That recipe you can find here!  I have to be honest, I wasn't so sure how the cheeseless, cheese sauce would turn out, but I LOVED it. 

I am not a fan of tortiallas and taco shells, so I heated up hard taco shells for Kiley and just made myself a large taco salad.  Unfortunelty I forgot to take pictures of the various stages of our dinner as I was cooking (please forgive, I am still very new to this blogging thing).  But we will be having leftovers tonight so I promise I will document!  By the way, it goes without saying that left over taco salad is FANTASTIC!!!  I love pico the second day because it has been able to sit and marinate and soak up all the deliciousness from the veggies and spices.  YYYUUUMMM! Needless to say I am dreaming of dinner already and it is only 10:55 am.  

So the BEST part of last night was when Kiley was putting together his tacos.  I had picked up some Kraft Mexican cheese for him and as he was sprinkling it on his tacos he said, and I quote, "babe you don't have to get special regular cheese for me, I am more then happy to eat the vegan soy cheese you buy." WOW!!! Talk about love and support, he really is the best! :-) A man willing to give up his love of dairy cheese to accomodate his newly vegan wife...I am SSSSOOO lucky!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment